Will the “Next Web” Belong to Yahoo!?

• Posted March 30th, 2012 at 2:55 pm by Yahoo! Mobile
  • Categories: General

WebProNews covers Blake Irving’s remarks about “the next Web” shared at a recent summit.

Editor’s note: This story was written by Chris Crum for WebProNews on March 27, 2012.

Yahoo! Chief Product Officer, Blake Irving, spoke about “the next Web” (not the technology blog) at the Adobe Digital Marketing Summit last week. Yahoo! has posted a “concise version” of his opening remarks from the event, in which he talks about the future of the web, which will be driven in large part by Yahoo!, if Irving has anything to say about it.  “I see a future where deeply personal digital experiences are easy to discover, delightful to consume, and effortless to share,” he says. “If done right, it will transform the way people use the Web. When I say ‘deep personalization,’ I don’t just mean some preference controls; I mean content that is so timely, relevant and personal that it actually adds meaning to your life.”

While he doesn’t actually talk about it in the post, Yahoo! recently revealed a new personalization engine for delivering its content to users, called Content Optimization and Relevance Engine or C.O.R.E.

“Every hour C.O.R.E. processes 1.2 terrabytes of data in order to learn how a user’s behaviors and interests influence the likelihood of clicking on a specific article,” the Yahoo! spokesperson told us last month. “And, every day, C.O.R.E. personalizes 2.2 billion pieces of content for Yahoo! users.”

“Since optimizing with C.O.R.E., Yahoo!’s Homepage click-through rate has increased 300%,” she said at the time. “Yahoo!’s personalization approach is a clever mix of scientific algorithms and human judgment, as editors have control to override C.O.R.E. at any time, to ensure certain stories are seen. Initially developed within Yahoo! Labs, C.O.R.E. has become a vital tool used throughout the day by editors across the company to bring our users personalized news, first.”

We can’t be sure if this is the main driving force of what Yahoo! is considering “the next Web,” but my guess is that it’s a key element. Of course, it’s not as if personalization of content is really a new thing, let alone the next thing. In fact, Irving has been singing a similar tune for quite some time. Here’s a video from 2010 where he’s talking about making the web personal Blake Irving: Make the Web personal for consumers.

Still, personalization of content can still get better, and that appears to be a primary focus for Yahoo!.  “In future, I see a Web that acts on my behalf, one that finds content and connections for me and presents it to me in context—aware of my location, my activity, my social situation, my economics and my most timely considerations,” says Irving. “I see a Web where trust and transparency are the price of entry for publishers and technology providers, and where relationships are understood and cherished—on both sides of the connection.”  “If the technology economic model is done right, the best content will just come to me, and it will be as diverse and nuanced as I am—and as you are,” he says. “It’s not about vague categories of interest—cars, sports, technology, advertising, whatever. It’s about just the content I’d go out to find if I had the time and resources do it manually. It’s down there in the tail of the Web. And, even more so, it’s down in the torso of the Web—where there are economics at play, albeit a model that is mostly broken.”  He says that there’s “no question” that the Web will become deeply personal, and that it’s just a matter of who makes it happen. He seems to think Yahoo! has a shot at being the one, or at least a major contributor. And that might in fact be the case. As I write this (at about 12:15 EST), Yahoo! has already had nearly 60 million homepage views for the day.

There are a lot of other companies contributing to the personalization of content consumption. Yahoo! may very well be the gateway to a lot of it, but the social efforts of companies like Google, Facebook and others are already driving this to a huge extent.

Yahoo! is undergoing a major transformation. Will it work? Who knows?
Yahoo! is 17 years old. Where will it be in another 17 years?

• 7 Comments

RSS feed

7 comments

March 31st, 2012 at 6:06 am

[...] In other Yahoo news, speaking at the Adobe Digital Marketing Summit last week — Yahoo! Chief Product Officer, Blake Irving, spoke about "the next Web" — "I see a future where deeply personal digital experiences are easy to discover, delightful to consume, and effortless to share," he says. [...]

Comment by Hot Mobile App

March 31st, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Very good article. I like to use mobile apps. I download Hot Mobile App fron the the net

Comment by dissatisfied user

April 15th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Concise comment: Yes, it gets personal when the Y!Mail Android app is “updated” to include banner ads.

Sadly, I just witnessed 2,000 one-star ratings removed from the Google Play (former Android Market) site, likely due to foul language from angry and formerly content users. Unfortunately because people do take it personally, they curse and the app falsely appears to be rated 4.0 out of a possible 5. Personal? Yes, I uninstalled the banner ad conduit and may join the droves going elsewhere for more personable email.

Comment by Brandon

May 22nd, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Whatever it is, I have to say we should go mobile right now before the next wave hits us.

I have already built my mobile site with http://www.morces.com and the response is simply awesome!

Look forward to hear from Yahoo! =D

Comment by dissatisfied user also

June 25th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Yeah, Irving sees a web that acts on HIS behalf, providing content and connections for HIM, unless he uses Metro PCS like I and millions of other americans, an unsupported carrier network for Yahoo! messenger mobile. Why are their usupported carrier networks? Facebook doesn’t discriminate. I think it’s because mr Irving forgot one thing when he described his vision of trust and transparancy as the price of entry for publishers and providers…Currency. Trust, transparency and CURRENCY $$$ Mr. Irving. And, good going with the C.O.R.E. monster you’ve created. No wonder my news has been JAMMED with stupid little stories about what football players have been up to lately. Damn, you click on a story or 2 about something, then it’s a flood of the same topic. Well, I see a Yahoo! future where my kids news provided by C.O.R.E. consists of Eminem, Lil’ Wayne, and Lady Gaga updates. Another way Yahoo! can help dumb-down america and keep us uninformed. But, ya know, I’m almost kind of glad about that. There’s a reason I haven’t read any relevant stories in Yahoo! News. THEY SUCK! lol I know Yahoo!’s way of thinking, “Well, Gee, if they refuse to read our horrible, bias, opinion-laden News reporting on the relevant issues, then we just…won’t give them relevant issues!” Thanks for that
Yahoo! is 17 years old! Amazing! In another 17 years, I hope Yahoo! has long driven the last of its subscribers away and has faded into oblivion. Either that or get a CEO who’s not a greedy, Big Brother Communist to change directions and run the company like an American….Nah…Fade away Yahoo!. Fade away.

Comment by Rafał Korytowski

July 5th, 2012 at 3:21 am

Ja – Rafał Korytowski z Rawicza – zdradzam swoją żonę

Comment by znajoma

October 4th, 2012 at 1:24 am

I nie boisz sie, ze ktos cie moze nakryc tutaj?
lopko

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

back to yahoo! mobile