Yahoo! Launches New Mobile App for Emerging Markets, Makes Discovering Yahoo! Easy
- Posted April 28th, 2011 at 3:30 pm by Yahoo! Mobile
- Categories: General
Today, we are thrilled to announce the availability of a new app, called Yahoo!, for consumers with select BlackBerry, Nokia (Java & Symbian OS) and Sony Ericsson Java mobile phones in emerging markets where lower-end mobile devices are becoming the defacto “point of entry” for the Internet. Now, consumers will have easy access to all of Yahoo!’s services through the use of one app in parts of Asia Pacific and Latin America, as well as parts of Europe – ultimately making it easier to find and interact with the full catalog of Yahoo!’s properties and services available in each region, including Yahoo! Mail, Messenger, Flickr, Fantasy Sports and Finance.
The launch of the Yahoo! app also represents a new approach to searching and discovering Yahoo! services for consumers in emerging markets. How so? Simply put, the Yahoo! app serves as a hub that enables people to explore and subscribe to Yahoo! services that they may not have known about via their mobile phone. The app is packed with a slew of additional user benefits, including:
• Once downloaded, it remains persistent on the device, making the full catalog of Yahoo! services easier to use and discover
• Reduces need for typing long URL’s into the mobile browser
• Surfaces Yahoo! services that consumers may not have known about
• Makes it easier to discover snippets of interesting Yahoo! news, sports and financial information throughout the day by surfacing everything in one place
The Yahoo! app is currently available to consumers in 43 countries and across 18 different languages. To get the Yahoo! app, go to http://getjar.com/yahoo from your device or search for “Yahoo!” in any of the app stores listed below:
- Nokia Ovi store
- Blackberry App store
- Airtel App store
In the future, the Yahoo! app will support additional devices and platforms, as well as a host of new features. So, stay tuned!
Director, Product Management, Mobile & Connected Devices
- 5 Comments