Yahoo! brings its world-class communications experiences to your Android phone, plus introduces the all new HTML5 mobile web mail
- Posted June 30th, 2010 at 9:29 pm by Yahoo! Mobile
- Categories: General
Today, Yahoo! debuted Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger apps for Android, a Yahoo! Search Widget for Android, and launched an amazing new HTML5 mobile mail and News experience for iPhone and iPod touch. These exciting launches represent our continued efforts to develop sophisticated mobile experiences for leading platforms, reaching a broad audience of highly engaged mobile users. We’re keeping consumers connected to the people and things that matter to them most – wherever and whenever they want.
Yahoo! provides a seamless, integrated experience across all screens; from PC to mobile phones, tablets, TV, and beyond. These latest apps are optimized for three hero Android devices–Motorola Droid, HTC Incredible, and Google Nexus One–and are available for download globally, via the Android Market for Android OS 2.0 and above.
Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger operate as standalone applications, but are also integrated to provide an optimal Yahoo! communications experience. We include the best of Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger, including rich text formatting, Yahoo! emoticons, and access to the Yahoo! Address Book, in apps that are designed from the ground up for the Android platform.
With the new Yahoo! Mail App for Android, consumers can:
- Receive push notification of new email messages
- Send emails to contacts from the Yahoo! Address Book as well as contacts in the native phone address book
- Search email messages by sender, recipient, subject and keywords in the body of the email
- Upload photos as attachments directly from camera or the photo gallery
- View and download attachments
- Insert emoticons and rich text formatting into emails
- Effectively manage and organize their Yahoo! Mail messages, folders and manage spam
- Toggle between the Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger apps with ease
With the new Yahoo! Messenger App for Android, consumers can:
- Easily message friends, check friends’ status updates & availability as well as update their own status & availability
- Send instant messages to friends via SMS text messages*
- Stay connected with full support for multitasking allowing the app to work in the background; with push notifications consumers can easily catch new messages and friend requests
- Full use of emoticons and rich text formatting
- Send photos to friends directly from the phone’s camera or the photo gallery
A smarter, faster, and richer mobile mail experience leveraging HTML5
In related news, we’re launching our innovative new HTML5 Yahoo! Mail web app, offering users desktop-class features, lightning-fast speed, and an engaging rich-media experience. With close to 300 million Yahoo! Mail users worldwide, we are constantly looking at ways to innovate the communications experience, whether on the PC, mobile device or tablet. Using the cutting edge capabilities of HTML5, the new Yahoo! Mail is our most advanced mobile web experience yet.
This new webapp offers users a webmail experience that is:
- Faster and more reliable: off-line mail access and local search enabled by local caching capabilities give consumers access to their mail anywhere, even out of network coverage
- Smart: find the message you need, whenever you need it. With our Full Search feature, personal folder creation & management and Smart Folders with messages from key contacts
- Rich: view rich photo and video attachments in full, or as preview directly in the inbox, as well as HTML messages
- Seamless & unified experience with Yahoo! desktop Mail
This optimized mobile web mail experience is available globally in 28 languages, in over 200 countries. It is optimized for the Apple iPhone, the iPod touch, and is expected to be available via other Webkit-enabled browsers in the near future.
This experience is available to preview on an opt-in basis. We expect to upgrade all eligible users to the new version shortly. Get started by visiting m.yahoo.com/mail on your iPhone browser, and tap on ‘Preview the new Yahoo! Mail’; alternatively, you can click here from your iPhone
Let us know your thoughts and comments about the new products below.
Product Manager, Yahoo! Messenger
Lee J. Parry
Product Manager, Yahoo! Mail
*This feature is currently only available when sending to numbers in Canada, Indonesia, India, Kuwait, Malaysia, Philippines, Pakistan, Thailand, United States and Vietnam.
- 61 Comments