Apple iPad User Analysis

• Posted May 6th, 2010 at 10:54 am by Yahoo! Mobile
  • Categories: General

There’s no question that the iPad is the latest “it” product, with first-day sales exceeding 300,000 and some analysts projecting as many as 7 million units sold by year’s end.  Inside Yahoo!, we’re just as interested in the iPad phenomenon. Just a week after the iPad’s launch, we began to analyze the behavior of the first iPad users on the Yahoo! network.  While some of the findings were expected, there were a few surprises that popped.

As expected within the classic early-adopter profile, we identified a male skew in the 35-44 age group among these early users.  In fact, among all users, men outnumber women 2:1. Given the economy, people with higher earning power were probably the first to buy the iPad. The first Yahoo! iPad users were 94% more likely to be affluent consumers with solid wealth and strong incomes than typical U.S. Yahoo! users.

Picture 4

The sweet spot for the Yahoo! iPad user is within the 35-44 age category, where the population composition is 36% higher than the typical Yahoo! user. Additionally, iPad users over-indexed within the age ranges 30-54 compared to the average U.S. Yahoo! user.

Picture 5

The demographic profile of the iPad Yahoo! user closely followed the interests on Yahoo! that we would suspect: Flickr, Finance, Sports and News were all among the Yahoo! properties most frequently visited by the Yahoo! user.  Flickr usage by iPad users is 143% higher than average. Because the iPad is meant for Internet browsing and media consumption, visits to Flickr seem to be a logical choice.

Picture 1

One surprising data point is the non-U.S. IP traffic on the iPad that’s coming to Yahoo! During the measurement period, the iPad has only been available for purchase in the U.S. market; however, we observe approximately 10% of IP traffic coming from Europe and Asia Pacific. Specifically, the U.K., France, and Germany are the top countries in Europe, and Taiwan and Hong Kong make up the most traffic in Asia Pacific.

Because the iPad runs on the same OS as the iPhone, it is not surprising to see many iPad users own another Apple product. Nearly half (48%) of Yahoo! iPad users own an iPhone and had visited Yahoo! on the iPhone previously.

We’re going to continue watching this segment closely in terms of what media they’re consuming. Stay tuned for more!

Ashley Cheng
Yahoo! Insights

• 38 Comments

RSS feed

38 comments

Comment by David Calhoun

May 6th, 2010 at 11:34 am

These are quite interesting statistics. It would be nice to see more of these types of posts, especially posts about mobile browser share statistics!

Comment by Dave H

May 6th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

While this info is interesting I would like to know what else is being done to feed these users? Where are the Yahoo Apps for iPad is what I’m getting at.

Comment by KTB II

May 6th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Was surprised to see the 2:1 gender skew, especially considering that the stats on Apple products in general are pretty balanced between men and women.

Is this because men generally have higher incomes, i.e. more purchasing power for luxury items? Let’s face it, at this point the iPad is a luxury item – i.e. no one’s getting this to REPLACE their computer. Or at least not yet.

Comment by McCoth

May 6th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

The gender skew is easily explainable.

Men are more likely to buy new technology. We love shiny gadgets and need to have the latest stuff

Comment by JBL

May 6th, 2010 at 8:48 pm

What’s the sample size on which your statistics are based?

Comment by Kartikay

May 6th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

10% of the traffic from non-US sources?

Apple, wake up! There’s a huge demand for ‘world-wide availability”!

Comment by Verndale

May 7th, 2010 at 6:40 am

I agree, my first thought was that this is a luxury item and income must be a key factor in these stats. The data shows the age group with the highest percentage of usage is between the ages of 35-44, which are most likely individuals with higher incomes because they are more established in their career path.

Comment by Verndale

May 7th, 2010 at 7:11 am

I agree, my first thought was income has to be a key factor with these stats. The age group with the highest percentage of usage is 35-44, which are most likely individuals with higher incomes because they are more established in their careers. But, do you think it has anything to do with how this age group interacts and consumes media?

Comment by Peter Wittinghoff

May 7th, 2010 at 11:44 am

I see nothing upsetting or “new” in this statistic. Men are more prone to the method of getting there and women are more to what to get. Whenever a new gadget, not specifically targeted at women (such as bra’s or breast pumps), arrive the pattern is similar. Age group differs same as any other new item’s such as Global kitchen knives or the new WV Passat. Income is not the matter, rather to have god enough income. Then I’m sure it differs.
I’m not disrespecting the information given or any of the other comments herein, sorry if I do, but this is common consumer behavior. For me, the most interesting is how you guys found this statistic?

Comment by ultravox

May 8th, 2010 at 4:53 am

Wow, 10% of traffic is international. Would love to know the number of IP addresses coming from the UK AND Ireland. Can you share? (Actually, wouldn’t be surprised if they came from airport terminals…:))

Comment by Justin

May 8th, 2010 at 7:32 am

I figured I’d have seen one by now. I live in a college town, go to Starbucks occasionally, bookstore once a week, etc. Yet to see one except online.

Comment by Joe Veneroso

May 8th, 2010 at 8:15 am

I am 62 and therefore off the chart—literally! I wouldn’t have bought this for myself but received it as a gift and I’m glad I did. I use it for most of the same things as my iPhone and my Mac Pro (Yes, I am one of the earliest Apple disciples!) I maintain two blogs but had to voice a complaint to iPad support that, unlike the iPhone which has many international keyboards available at the touch of an icon, the iPad has only a few—and no Korean keyboard. The Korean keyboard app they offer is a pain because while the letters appear on the screen in Korean, the keyboard itself is still in QWERTY, forcing me to figure out which English letter makes which Korean symbol. This is a royal pain and surely an annoyance I am sure for the Korean community here. (Get on it, iPad!)

Comment by Victor

May 8th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

This is a survey skewed toward those who use the browser on iPad. I don’t think it is safe to conclude that the 2:1 male-female divide, or that the 35-44 male cohort ‘sweet spot’ extends to overall iPad usage or even to those who are buying the iPad.

Comment by HJ

June 8th, 2010 at 3:48 am

Pretty cool… Nice post :D

Comment by Arnold

June 16th, 2010 at 5:20 am

Very extensive statistics! Great piece of work. And no wonder that Ipad is being used more in Europe and Asian Community.

Comment by yyyyyyyyyyy

July 23rd, 2010 at 9:01 am

Comment by Craig P

September 22nd, 2010 at 8:50 am

We’ve seen increased cruise business coming from ipad users. Safari traffic overall now almost approaches firefox on our website.

September 27th, 2010 at 4:58 am

[...] three million iPads sold1, it appears that sales aren’t slowing any time soon. In our first look at Yahoo! iPad users, we revealed who these users were, what their interests were, and the [...]

Comment by Millie

October 2nd, 2010 at 4:58 am

Anyone have more recent data?

October 2nd, 2010 at 3:56 pm

[...] that the iPad owner is likely to be male, 35-44, affluent and well-educated. Yahoo released some early data in May that supported this and Digital Daily reported on two recent reports about consumers who own [...]

November 29th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

[...] surfers may be. But the iPad audience is a little easier to classify (at least for the moment). According to research by Yahoo, the typical iPad user is male (males use the device more than women by almost 2:1), between 35 [...]

December 14th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

[...] | Yahoo Mobile Blog En Xataka Foto | Flickr se prepara para la llegada del iPad Foto | josh.liba [...]

February 22nd, 2011 at 5:21 pm

[...] A few key snippets on the rise of the iPad, with particular focus for iPad HHI Demographic Trends: Apple iPad User Analysis from Yahoo “As expected within the classic early-adopter profile, we identified a male skew in the 35-44 [...]

Comment by iphone spy software

March 1st, 2011 at 5:55 am

Nice Post! In the last year there is significance in crease in the user of Iphone. The basic reason for increase in Iphone user is that there are so many apps for Iphone, which attracts every user.

Comment by 7 taman langit

March 6th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

i never know it before
thanks for sharing statistics

Comment by 7 taman langit

March 6th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

it’s nice to see your blog
good content and easy to navigate

March 22nd, 2011 at 8:41 am

[...] iPad is still predominantly used by men, according to a study by Yahoo! Mobile Blog. However, the emergence of apps such as Selera Nusantara and Better Beauty [...]

Comment by Johnny

March 22nd, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Hi, such a cool website I found at http://www.google.com . I’ll will comeback soon I need to go now otherwise I will google it again. Keep up the good work!

May 9th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

[...] on Yahoo. Or maybe not. But that is exactly what Yahoo did, and it wrote up its findings on its mobile blog. So at least for iPad owners who visit Yahoo (there might be some adverse selection going on there, [...]

Comment by RaymonE01

June 14th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I read it, it is great. Patek Philippe ceramic watches

Comment by Keith Amerson

August 4th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The iPad phenomenon is such an innovative tool. I do wonder even within the sports market, how many people are using the iPad for specific sports related functions. And not just to acquire information. If anyone knows, please contact me at http://www.bballiq.net. I would interested to know its impact. Thanks

August 23rd, 2011 at 8:10 am

[...] Apple iPad User Analysis (Mai 2010) [...]

October 5th, 2011 at 2:46 am

With the help of any experienced developer you can have so many different and helpful features into your device such as iTunes, ibooks, GPS navigation, App store, integrated web browser, accelerometer, video calling, multitasking, multi touch screen, virtual keyboard, wi-fi connectivity and many more. AppDevelopersNow offers an iPhone App Developers for hire to help you out.

April 5th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

[...] »  Some iPad user analysis from Yahoo: The first users were 94 percent more likely to be affluent consumers with solid wealth and incomes than typical U.S. Yahoo (NSDQ: YHOO) users. [Y! Mobile Blog] [...]

June 17th, 2012 at 10:49 am

July 28th, 2012 at 8:30 am

[...] Instructional Videos Product For The Terrific IPad User Set Of InstructionsIpad 2 User manual Guide, Full Specification, Troubleshooting and Download AreaThings To Do With Ipad Info – Learn IpadApple iPad User Analysis [...]

August 4th, 2012 at 11:04 pm

This post is really classy, I am bookmarking ur blog. I have been looking for a long time for such a post. It was really informative, I wish you will provide us more of thise in future. Thank u for such a good work.
creative photographer London

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

back to yahoo! mobile